Friday, October 10, 2008

Boiled wool.

For some time now I have been going to a class in Penrith at Morceau. Billed as an 'occasional Saturday' ( but actually once a month) you can take anything to work on and get advice if you need it. At the beginning it was invaluable in starting me on my patchwork way but now I use it as a social event mainly. Sometimes I achieve a lot in a day, sometimes I gossip and eat a lot and some months there is a blissful combination of both things.

In September, I was tired from work and really just wanted to hang out with no pressure on me to complete anything. So, I packed a bag with a wallhanging to fiddle with intending not really to do very much but hang out with my BQS (Best Quilting Buddy).
On arrival in the car park, Yvonne, the teacher was leaning against her car wearing a jacket made of the boiled wool from the shop below the classes, Just Sew, which cloth has been highly popular with the class members. I myself bought three meters last year and have been diligently storing it ever since.
However when I saw her jacket I had to make one, so I bought more wool and set to. The delight of it is that it requires no finishing to speak of, perfect for a non dressmaker like me. By lunch time I had made this. So cuddly and easy to wear.
And then after lunch, set to making this one...it hangs much better in real life, the collar actually being eth same as the top one although the bottom is sqaured off rather than rounded. This one will in due course be embellished when I get around to the designing of it. And I still have the original 3 m of lime wool.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

            ∧  ∧
            |1/|1/
          / ̄ ̄ ̄`ヽ、
         /        ヽ
        /  ⌒  ⌒    |
        | (●) (●)   |   !!!
        /          |
       /           |
      (          _ |
      (ヽ、       /  )|
       | ``ー――‐''"|  ヽ|
       ゝ ノ       ヽ  ノ
  ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

Donna said...

ooooo dressmaking that doesn't require finishing! I'm truly fascinated with the concept -- between all the fiddly finishing and working to get everything on grain so it drapes properly, dressmaking and I have parted company long ago..... I may have to re-explore that area. Now how to make the time..

Helen said...

oo me 2
just like quilt pixie and for the same reasons... couldn't have put it better. Now to find a pattern I guess! Thanks for the idea.