Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Kuba cloth

Today I started surfing the web for shape inspirations for my next City and Guilds portfolio and as I just love african art decided to begin a sketchbook of african use of shapes. In surfing I stumbled on the National Museum of African Art in Washington DC which I really recommend. Their site has on line images of amazing african textiles, masks etc.
I particularly liked this Nigerian funerary cloth made with patchwork and applique




These kuba cloths aslo really caught my attention. (These are from another site and for sale but there are similar ones in the museum) Now wouldn't they be a terrific challenge to convert to patchwork? I think I may have found somthing to work on here:


1 comment:

English Rose said...

Helen, love these Kuba cloths, they could be absolutely stunning in patchwork. can't wait to see what you do with the idea. which site did you find these on?
sara