Thursday, May 01, 2008

Pulley systems

One of the reasons I love the internet is that you get accidentally educated. It was suggested that, for hanging quilts on my tall walls, I try the mechanisms used for 'sheila's maids' and indeed these look useful. It was also suggested that I search for systems used in art galleries rather than specifically for quilt hangings. I did so by googling 'art pulley' and stumbled across Heddle Pulleys.

In Africa looms are often used to weave thin stips of textile which are then sewn together. the heddle seems to be the cross bars of the loom and these are linked by a string which runs through ( yup, you got it) a heddle pulley.
These heddle pulleys are often carved and highly decorative. Now I want something that nice - ironmongery seems a let down now! You can see more pulleys here and here.

No comments: