Monday, November 03, 2008

Return (and anticpated departure) of the wanderers

Well, we are back from Bath having had a very relaxed time which may have included a little (ahem) clothes shopping and a little (ahem) more shopping at the wonderful Midsomer Quilting.
This was the car coming back - and we only went for a week. ( and I have to say that Dennis had one small cabin case and a shoulder bag!)

Well, we are back from Bath having had a very relaxed time which may have included a little (ahem) clothes shopping and a little (ahem) more shopping at the wonderful Midsomer Quilting.

This was the car coming back - and we only went for a week. ( and I have to say that Dennis had one small cabin case and a shoulder bag!)

I know I keep raving about Midsomer Quilting but really - on arrival in Bath we were able to have an Indian meal with De who owns it and Chris who is Mein Host of the place and Brigitta who quietly and efficiently helps make the place work. Chris would not let me put my credit card down so I had even more money to dispose of in the shop the following Friday. I arrived, had tea and biscuits, chatted, chose fabric, laid bolts and bolts out in the workroom compiling selections for different projects, joined in the conversation with sewers in there, admired some quilts, bought my choice, had more tea and biscuits and chatted and browsed some books. I was there just over 2 and a half hours - what more can you want from your last day on holiday?


But now we are home and into an admin work day which has included sorting out my diary for 2009. Incredibly it is more than half full already mostly with lectures. However, for those of you who commented on Dennis' retirement with suggestions that we travel ( forgetting that I sadly am not retired!) I can tell you that all of Nov/ Dec 2009 are blocked out as we contemplate a grand Retirement trip. We will certainly be taking in Sydney (Brenda, Erica and anyone else within striking distance, please note I will be requiring at least one girly quilty day of fun, if you have any ideas? Kirsten - are you too far away from Sydney?) Tasmania and New Zealand. But, we are likely to add stop overs using a Round the World Ticket so all suggestions to help us narrow down the endless options are welcome. What does your area have that makes it unmissable? Recomendations for quilt related stops in New Zealand and Tassie are also welcome.

I wanted to start in Houston but I see that the dates for next year's show are mid -October just right in the middle of peak lecture season here. Piddle Pooh. That will have to be a separate trip another year :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Kirsten and I can come up with all sorts of suggestions for New Zealand. And Maggie has written this useful guide to quilt shopping downunder.

floribunda said...

I might have some NZ suggestions for you too, after our trip there this month. And if you're going round the world, it makes complete sense to come through San Francisco! I can give you an all-day tour of my favorite shops and then round up the boys for dinner! Yum...

Linda Robertus said...

Brisbane is a wonderful city and only 1000 km north of Sydney... ;-)

Erica Spinks said...

Ooh! Playtime! Give us your Sydney dates and I will make a suitable note in my diary.

English Rose said...

so, for a real round the world experience, come visit in Kuwait. I can take you to meet the q8quilters and shopping in the fabric souk, just for starters.