Monday, June 01, 2009

Cinnamon roll recipe

I have been asked to give you the recipe for the cinnamon rolls in my last post. I am not reposting the photo though out of respect to Carol who has wheat allergies and whom I tormented last time I posted the picture!

I have to say that my instructions come from my breadmaker recipe book but I checked and this site as instruction to make it from scratch with ingredients that are not too disimilar so if you combine the two you should get something like!
Dough
250ml water at room temp
30g chopped butter
1 60g egg ( or in my house one egg - who weighs eggs?!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
520 g strong white plain flour (bread flour)
2 1/2 teapsoons dried yeast

Filling
35g melted butter
1/2 cup sugar ( sometimes my hand slips a little more in)
2 tablespoons of cinnamon

Glaze
mix 1/2 cup icing sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence ( that isn't essential) and 2 tablespoons of milk until thin enough to drizzle.

Put all that lot in the breadmaker in that order and press the programme for pizza and other versatile doughs. Or somehow combine and let rise. On my machine it takes just short of 2 hours for this mixing and rising process.

Take out of the machine and grease and line a 25cm baking pan ( or in our house a roasting dish big enought for four greedy portions of lasagne)

Mix the sugar and cinnamon. Roll the dough out into a 45cm x 22 cm rectangle. (Or in our house a rectangle the depth of the working surface and not quite as wide). brush with the melted butter. sprinkle over the sugar-cinnamon nix. Roll up the dough and pinch the edge to seal. Cut into 2.5 cm slices. (In my house -2.5 cm ish) and place in pan.

Cover and allow to rise for 1 1/4 hours or until doubled in size. (usually a little less than the stated time for me but our house tends to be warm).

Place in preheated oven and bake for 30 mins an 180 degrees C or until golden brown.

Lightly drizzle with glaze.

I bet you burn your fingers eating them because you can't wait. They take ages but are easy to do and worth all the waiting time. If not eating straight from the oven you can microwave them 30 - 35 seconds to reheat. Yum.

4 comments:

Kate North said...

thanks Helen - will have to give it a go!

Erica Spinks said...

Yum. Thanks!

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Got the yeast and the flour yesterday only to find they had no cinnamon except as sticks. It doesn't seem so long ago I couldn't find sticks....

Pat said...

try using real Cinnamon in your recipe.

The Cinnamon that we buy is actually Cassia which contains 1250 times more coumarin than real Cinnamon