Monday, June 08, 2009

Grumpy old woman

So, I have just sat down with my newly returned ( and so far working) laptop to read the blogs. I have a long awaited cup of tea next to me then. .... the door bells rings. Not once but several insistent times. Ting-aling-aling-aling-aling- aling. Then, before I can even get up the letter box is raised and dropped. Several times. Clunk Clunk Clunk Clunk. I make it to my feet and the banging on the door glass with a fists starts. Thump, thump, thump,thump. My goodness what is it? Are the elderly couple next door but one in distress? Has the neighbour opposite noticed my roof on fire? Is it the Police looking for a mass murderer?

I open the door. A young man wielding a clipboard and clutching a pile of leaflets beams at me. "Hi. He says. How are you?"

Now, I suspect he was hoping for the response, "Oh All the better for seeing you. Now, what can I buy from you today?"

Needless to say he did not get it. Is it just in our area or are you too seeing an increase in door to door sales? We have had the landscape gardener who wanted to cut down my beloved cherry tree, the local firm who offered us a very good deal to replace or three week old double glazing. We get local restaurants wanting us to join dining clubs, charities wanting old clothes and hospices wanting money. Then there are the phone calls. Swinton Insurance are calling at a level bordering on harassment, Carcraft rather optimistically called to ask if I would service my car with them (and were rather non-plussed when I reminded them what happened last time I did business with them - I promise, it is a good story if you don't recall it). I have even had the automated voice that asks me to hold so I can take a sales call.

Maybe it is the effect of the economy that businesses feel the need to get out there and tout for work but believe me the quickest way to get me not to do business with you is to show up on my front door step and disturb me or to ring in the middle of my favourite TV programme. If I want to buy something I will research it and then go and buy it. I am not going to part with money just because you battered my door down, beamed at me and asked me how I was when you do not know me from Adam? OK?

Unless of course you come with fabric or thread. But no one ever does. Why is that?

3 comments:

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

You can join something called the 'telephone preference service' it's free and organisations who cold call can be in trouble with the ombudsman. It takes 2 or 3 months for all agencies who might ring to update their files. Another thing I do is pay 50p/month to reject all with held numbers. This stops a lot of them in their tracks as well. Most are not prepared to use the four figure code to expose their number.
HTH

Donna said...

isn't it sad to think of the souls on whom such marketing works? as it must work or they'd give up right?

I'm thankful here we have a do not call registry, and I simply don't answer my door or phone freuqently unless (like they guy you recount having) its really really persistent and I think there might be problem...

Margeeth said...

Oh yes, very recognizable. I know you don't have children, but imagine having a new baby which is finally sleeping after a night and half a day of relentless crying and than having a sales person ringing and banging on the door.