Thursday, June 25, 2009

Easy does it...

.. is a potential name for this quilt, pieced last evening and today and shown here hanging over the edges of my design board. There is a blue border down the right too. The big picture blocks are not by me - I got them in a swap ( along with one other which will go into its own smaller quilt.) and was a bit fazed at first about how to combine them all. Of course, any sensible person would have trimmed them to a size divisible by the dimensions of the smaller squares. Did I do that? No ma'am.
But, I had decided already to take a relaxed approach - the aim was to end up with a top. End of. So I trimmed a bit and added a bit and stretched a bit and, well, I think it makes a decent snuggle quilt. More interesting than the blue and white teacups for sure. It is about 66.5 inches by 65.25 inches. Exactly square is so passe darlings! (I know that has a French accent on it but I don't know how to type it.)


Why the name? Well firstly a lot of easing of fabric went into getting it together. And I had an unexpected and unplanned day of work, so I was taking it easy at home playing with fabric. And encouraging a dear friend, at whom life has thrown more bad things in the last couple of years than a roomful of people should bear in a lifetime, that taking it easy was something she had earned and needed. Oh, and you might have noticed that it is not exactly a complex pattern!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! Lucky you to get those in a swap. I like how you did the small squares around the blocks in fading colors to blend. Really nice!

floribunda said...

I like the way it came out, Helen! I guess this means I need to do something with all my house blocks now...

TeresaQuilts@JUNO.COM said...

Lovely blending, Helen. That was certainly not the easy part!

Unknown said...

Well done Helen - combining all those different blocks is a puzzle too far for us mere mortals (well me anyway!) It looks really, really good and I love the way you've graded across from blue to brown - super!

Mom said...

That is lovely! Glad to have made one of those blocks :-)