Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Pocket money

Remember when you were a kid and you went to town on Saturdays to spend your pocket money on frivolous things?


I rarely go into the shopping area of my home town - its easier to pick stuff up when I am working in bigger cities. But on Saturday I ran out of Pritt Stick ( a glue stick for anyone who is not familiar with the brand name) and popped in. Thinking of my teenage years I decided to walk down to the indoor market which, now I am older and snobbier ( and give myself more pocket money) I avoid as it is cheap and nasty. But, nostalgia got the better of me and I was reminiscing about how Lisa and I would go and buy Constance Caroll make up. A similar stall remains but times seem to have changed as of the three fifteen year olds giggling over the lip glosses two were at least six months pregnant.

Still, the trip was worth it as opposite is a yarn stall. ( When I was a teenager, 'yarn' was 'wool' and 'thread' was 'cotton' but now I am a quilter so I know better!) It had buy one get one free on fancy yarns and whilst I don't knit I do couch down or embroider with yarn, so as you will have guessed from the photos I had to get some. And some stranded cottons to match.


Oh what fun it is to spend pocket money on a Saturday morning!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have mixed memories of the indoor market. My mother had a stall there for all her life(she died 11 years ago) and my Saturdays and holidays were spent wandering around there. It was soooo boring until I was old enough to help and earn 6pence a day which I saved and spent on single records. Gerry and the Pacemakers, The Kinks, The Beatles etc.When I go there now, it's changed so much, it's just not the same.
Chris W (cRETE)