Wednesday, April 25, 2007

And there (was not ) light

What goes through the heads of designers when they plan the lighting in hotel rooms? I am currently installed in a room in the Leeds Novotel, which is identical to the rooms in any other Novotel. I have a light at the entrance way, a light in the toilet, a light in the separate bathroom, a desk lamp, two reading lamps over each side of the bed and a lamp above the sofa. And still all I get is a diffused apricot glow around the room. Fine, I imagine, for romantic assignations ( although how romantic you can get in a Novotel in Leeds City Center I do not know.) Not so fine when I am tring to quilt. Fortunately my machine has a double light on it so if I am close to it with the addition of the desk lamp I can piece without bringing on macular degeneration but the pressing is done in semi gloom and the design wall ( flannel sheet laid out on the bed) has shadows that make value contrasts very interesting.... I can see that I am going to have to add a 100 watt colour true lightblub and desk lamp to the junk I already tote around on trips.

3 comments:

Helen said...

I don't know of any hotel/motel room that has good light - not that I have heaps of experience stying in them. I am sure they put the lowest wattage bulbs in that they can get away with. They obviously don't know about quilters.

TALL GIRL said...

I travel with a headlamp, not unlike what the coal miners wear! It is great for seeing my handwork in dimly lit hotel rooms. And I have a friend who travels with a light bulb!

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Have not stayed in may motels, but will remember to take a good light source with me.Thanks for the info. Maggie