Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Olympics 2012

Today the athletics schedule and pricing came out for the London olympics. I am the least sporty person going in terms of participation but I love to watch athletics. We have been toying with the idea of getting good tickets ( for who wants to be at the back of the wrong side of the stadium for the 100 m?) for the whole tournament and making the olympics our summer holiday. Much as we did for the athletics and rugby at the Manchester commonwealth games.

Then today I found out that the best seats for the whole of the tournament would cost us £11,550 for ticket alone plus accommodation.

Are they having a laugh?

I shall be watching ( with close ups, replays and helpful commentary and no travel problems ) from my sofa for free.

Who exactly are they marketing to? Oil sheiks?

6 comments:

Erica Spinks said...

Do you know about this project for the Olympics? I plan to make some! www.quilts4london.org.uk

Vicki W said...

They don't want us, they want corporations. I had the good luck to go to a couple of events at the Atlanta Olympics. My vendor picked me up in their corporate jet, flew me to Atlanta, paid for accommodations and tickets. I can assure you that it's a LOT better watching it on TV. Live there are too many things going on at once and you never know who to follow!

Deborah OHare said...

I hear you! When it is our taxes that have paid for it, you'd think it would be more accesible for the the ordinary man in the street. It is very disappointing.
Deborah

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

And you couldbuy a huge state of the art TV and still be quids in. We thought we might like to go (we are in commuting distance but it all seems as though it will be so much better on TV.

Christine said...

Good grief! I bet the hotels have "special" prices then too. Still, perhaps you're better off at home in case there are vuvuzelas!

Rachel said...

We were actually thinking of leaving the country to avoid all the fuss!

Motorhome in outback Australia, anyone?